The Gotha ceramic factory "Hansa-Gotha Keramik" emerged from the Thuringian stove and wall panel factory Hilmar Merten, founded in 1850. Wilhelm Diebener took over the company in the 1930s, in
GDR times the manufacture continued as VEB Hansa Gotha Keramik and closed in the early 1970s.
From the 1920s onwards, the reduced and simple, beautiful style inspired by the Bauhaus was committed. The successful glazes and clear color design still make the ceramics in demand today.